ER 20th Anniversary

Talk about Luka Kovac episodes, relationships, screencaps, and more.

Moderators: Zone3120, AzizalSaqr, Trainerjen, Nina, jenwhaley, MarcySue

ER 20th Anniversary

Postby Trainerjen » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:01 pm

So, I think most of us were first exposed to Goran through "ER". This fall, 20 years ago, "ER" premiered. I thought it would be fun to have a thread to reminisce about the show, and Goran in particular. Share our stories, etc. Maybe some of you don't remember, or didn't watch, and that's okay! Just have fun with it.

For me, I was a freshman in college in 1994. OJ Simpson was the big story at freshman orientation. Lot's of arguments there. ;) I was hell bent on getting my degree in biomedical and health sciences, and heading on to med school. All of a sudden, there was this new phenomenon on Thursday nights at 10 on NBC. Along with another new show that was getting great buzz at 9 ("Friends", my other favorite show of all time :P ). Unfortunately for me, several of my classes were ONLY offered at night. What's a girl with an aging VCR that didn't record when you asked it to to do? Schedule classes around those shows. That's what. ;) I had already decided to change my major once the Winter semester rolled around. But this was a bonus! My major continued to be Biomedical and Health sciences, I just shifted it to Sports Medicine (instead of the lauded MD, got my DO, and ATC...look them up. Too much to 'splain right now :) ), which is where I was supposed to be. I truly believe that . :) Anyways.

I came across this blog post http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/20 ... es/380164/

While I completely disagree with his/her (not sure there) "ranking"...seriously disagree. Greene should be number one, not Carole, and Jerry is ahead of Luka AND Abby? Whatever. Also, Luka was the first one to go to Africa, NOT Carter, but okay. Anyways, it's kind of fun! :)
"He Seems Depressed...." "He's European, that's his baseline."

"The X chromosome carries three times as much genetic information as the Y. Do you think that's why men are simpler?"~Abby Lockhart
Trainerjen

Re: ER 20th Anniversary

Postby Kelly » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:42 am

I very nice story ,Jen :D thank you for that !
Unfortunately ,I didn't watch the show ,at this time ,I was always in hospitals for my practise ( University of sciences and psychology ) and for me it wasn'nt useful to watch something about emergencies on TV
Unfortunately too ,I knew Goran only last year in Red widow ( I guess I am the only one here ! ) and he was so amazing ,good actor and handsome too that I wanted to know much about him , now I can discover ER little by little and I like it ,I understand how much it was important for his work ,Luka is very close to him ,from croatia and so on :D
I like him with Abby but not so much with Sam !

20 years ago I think this show changed his life ! a good experience :D
Kelly

Postby Trainerjen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Nobody should like him with Sam. She's just horrible. I agreed with the poster on that one. I LOVE Linda Cardellini (the actress who played Sam), but I hated the character. Nothing was ever her fault! Ugh. I digress. You can find rants on that subject from me elsewhere on the board. :D :oops:

So in honor of the anniversary, I watched season 9 this weekend (Joe was out of town, and I had to work in the morning Saturday, but the rest of the weekend was for sloth. I didn't change out of my PJ's until about 6 on Sunday when we had to head to my parents for dinner. *sigh* Been a LONG time since I've had the time to do that!). I love that season. Absolutely my favorite (with seasons 7, 8, 12 and 13 very close behind. My other favorite is 4, but since Goran wasn't around at that point, I won't talk about that. :D ). Luka is such a mess, emotionally, in a different way than we see him in the rest of the series. He had broken up with Abby a full season before, but neither of them really moved on until Abby and Carter started dating. There, we see Goran play his heart on his sleeve. It's obvious he knew he screwed up with her and lost something special (witness the exchange in the bedroom in "Hindsight"...my all time favorite episode...). I love how, all season, even though he's boffing anything with girl parts, they show his reaction any time he witnesses a tender moment between Abby and Carter. His face is heartbreaking. I also love Susan's little digs (she's one of my favorite characters. A shame they wrote her off the way they did, with barely a mention. Ugh. :roll: ). "Kovac's sleeping." "With who?" LOL :lol: :lol: "You're late." "Blame my alarm clock!" "Oh yeah? What's her name?" Again. LOL. 8) :o The entire season, Luka was a mess. It was great to see him transform in the last few episodes. He had resolve to just be a great doctor and kick start his "new" life. Which of course leads him to Sam. But that's, again, another issue. :P I'll probably throw in the first disc of season 10 to watch "The Lost" and the episodes where Luka comes home and the aftermath of "Dear Abby". Those are always fun to watch. But then I mostly skip that season, and 11. Ugh. The "Samka" seasons. :roll:

Kelly, if you first discovered Goran in "Red Widow" or "Welcome to Sarajevo" (his first "American role"), we don't care here. You're here, and that's great! You've found a brilliant actor who has improved with every role he's acted. No worries about not knowing about "ER" previously! Just catch up. :)

"The X chromosome carries three times as much genetic information as the Y. Do you think that's why men are simpler?"~Abby Lockhart
Trainerjen

Postby AzizalSaqr » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Hey, Ladies, I've been swamped with trying to get my little shop open, but, will try to post my part to this on Sunday. Love what's been said so far, though I do like Luka with Sam, if only for Alex 1, hated number 2.
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Postby Trainerjen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:48 am

Joe and I started season 10 this weekend. You are totally right, JD. Alex 1 is hilarious. "Are you menstruating?" "Look! An eyeball out of the head!" :lol: "Have you seen Sam's creepy little kid?" LOL Apparently, Alex 1 wasn't creepy enough. They had to bring on that kid that was totally void of emotion. I think if they'd kept the first kid, I would have been fine with Luka and Sam. But with the second one? Not so much. ;)

Anyhoo...anybody else have a great "ER virgin" story? I'm starting to think I'm the only person who watched from the beginning. ;) Again, that's okay. Just wondering!

Trainerjen

Return to ER