S1 E1 Re-Entry "‎Extant‬" Discussion *Possible Spoilers*

Talk about episodes, relationships, screencaps, and more.

Moderators: Zone3120, AzizalSaqr, Trainerjen, Nina, jenwhaley, MarcySue

S1 E1 Re-Entry "‎Extant‬" Discussion *Possible Spoilers*

Postby Trainerjen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:37 pm

So what did we all think?

First off, I think the reviewer who said that Goran and Halle had no chemistry was smokin' something. 8) I don't think he had the same chemistry with Halle that he did with Maura (or even other actresses he's worked with), but I I think that for being thrown into a "marriage situation" and having a love scene in the first ten minutes of the show, the chemistry was definitely there. I especially loved the scene where they are talking about her dead boyfriend and she tells him that she truly believes people end up where they are supposed to be. Aw. :D Also, this first epi was pretty intense, so they didn't explore their dynamic as much as I suspect they will in coming weeks (going off the previews for the season...which contained some scenes we haven't seen before). But for one episode? I think the chemistry was bang on.

John is...intriguing. This is definitely a different character than we've ever seen Goran play. There are definitely some "shades of Luka" (the devoted doctor and family man, with intense, sexy, smart, and goofy sides), but there's something else here. Haven't figured out what it is, but I really think this is going to be my favorite role of his since Luka. Also not sure about the reviewer who said that viewers wouldn't like John because of his quick temper and intensity. :? What the what? Sure, he had both (Loved the scene with the Humantics people where the woman says she's offended that he called her "one of those people", and he says he's sorry and she says she accepts his apology, and he says "No, I'm sorry you're one of those people." LOL :lol: :lol: ). But you also see his tender/fun/family side with Molly and Ethan. I always hate it when reviewers and fans harp on one aspect of a character rather than seeing the entire person that is being portrayed. Ugh. :roll:

The storyline is also intriguing. I can't wait to see what is going to happen in coming weeks. What is really going on with Ethan? There is obviously a plot afoot, so what the hell is going on? Was that Molly's dead ex up there in space, and if so, did she cheat on John? Even if he was only a reproduction? Or some sort of hybrid? Or....lots of possibility. The storytelling is pretty tight, as should be expected from a Spielberg project. I'm hooked already, and probably would be even if Goran wasn't in it. Because hey. Storm. (Halle). :P
"He Seems Depressed...." "He's European, that's his baseline."

"The X chromosome carries three times as much genetic information as the Y. Do you think that's why men are simpler?"~Abby Lockhart
Trainerjen

Re: "‎Extant‬" Discussion *Possible Spoilers*

Postby Trainerjen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Oh, and just one tiny criticism for an otherwise great show. Can they PLEASE update John and Molly's wardrobes? This show is supposed to be set in the future, and they are both successful scientists in their 30's or 40's (not sure exactly how old they are supposed to be, but Goran and Halle are both around those ages). They have dressed them both like a couple of 70 year old college professors. I half expected them both to pull out pipes in some of the scenes. I get maybe that they are trying to tone down the "sex appeal" and play up the "super smart" aspect, but come ON! Goran and Halle are both gorgeous, sexy people. Let them at least wear professional looking clothes that don't make them look dowdy. :roll:

"The X chromosome carries three times as much genetic information as the Y. Do you think that's why men are simpler?"~Abby Lockhart
Trainerjen

Postby SAN » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:14 am

This will sound awful, but I was disappointed and found the show a yawner, to be honest. I don't buy the kid, nor John's insistence Ethan is his 'son,' but I've been ill the past couple of days and missed the last 10 minutes of the show, so I may have missed an important plot point. I will watch it again with the on Demand feature we have when it's available, but right now my first impression is it is a good idea that wasn't expressed very well.
SAN

Postby AzizalSaqr » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:00 am

I loved the episode, I especially enjoyed the relationship between John and Ethan, and I can see where the differences in how he sees his son and how Molly sees him could be a problem in future episodes. As for wardrobes, in some sci-fi shows, the future goes more conservative, I happened to like the sweater look on John, and can see him as someone who wouldn't be up to date in fashion trends, his head is all in his science, Molly, maybe not so much. I like the character of Hideki Yasumoto, but, according to imdb, he's only scheduled to appear in 2 of these first 13 episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the series brings.
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Postby Trainerjen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:37 am

JD, Goran could be wearing anything and you'd like it. :twisted: :lol:

Trainerjen

Postby Kelly » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am

I'll join you and read as soon as I get the episode :)
Kelly

Postby trunkfish » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:59 am

It took me fifteen or twenty minutes to get into it, but after that I loved it. You have to have a little patience with premieres of shows with complicated plots because they have to throw so much at you all at once. Unlike some reviewers, I thought that Halle and Goran had a lot of chemistry...even without the shower scene. That chemistry included the tension they showed with each other. That tension accurately mirrored the kind of tension you get in military families after a long deployment (which I have seen first hand.) Sometimes family members just don't know what to do with each other. Their daily habits don't mesh.

The previews look a lot more fast paced. I got the impression that Molly and John were on the run. I can't wait to see Louis Gossett. Has anyone seen Enemy Mine? It's one of my favorite sci-fi movies.
trunkfish

Postby trunkfish » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Should Extant get its own front page thread like ER?
trunkfish

Postby Kelly » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:50 pm

shouldn't we have both ep 1 and 2 on july 9th ?
Kelly

Postby Trainerjen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:18 pm

trunkfish wrote:It took me fifteen or twenty minutes to get into it, but after that I loved it. You have to have a little patience with premieres of shows with complicated plots because they have to throw so much at you all at once. Unlike some reviewers, I thought that Halle and Goran had a lot of chemistry...even without the shower scene. That chemistry included the tension they showed with each other. That tension accurately mirrored the kind of tension you get in military families after a long deployment (which I have seen first hand.) Sometimes family members just don't know what to do with each other. Their daily habits don't mesh.

The previews look a lot more fast paced. I got the impression that Molly and John were on the run. I can't wait to see Louis Gossett. Has anyone seen Enemy Mine? It's one of my favorite sci-fi movies.
I agree with everything you just said. :lol: And yes, Enemy Mine is terrific! I love Louis Gossett too.

Trainerjen

Postby Trainerjen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:19 pm

trunkfish wrote:Should Extant get its own front page thread like ER?

That's a question for JD, but I would say it's probably fine here for now? All of his other work since ER has been discussed here.

Trainerjen

Postby Trainerjen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Kelly wrote:shouldn't we have both ep 1 and 2 on july 9th ?
Nope, just the first episode.

For anyone in the States, it's being re-shown tonight at 9 (or possibly 10) on CBS again. :D

Trainerjen

Postby AzizalSaqr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:46 am

I have no problem giving Extant it's own show thread, then we can post episode caps once I get the time to download each one, like was done for Red Widow and ER.
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Return to Extant